Thursday, July 8, 2010

Why My True Salary?

Greetings, folks. My name is Angela and I'm involved with public relations/market research for the up-and-coming MyTrueSalary.com. I want to take a few minutes to introduce myself and share my perspective on why MyTrueSalary.com is an important project.

I have my B.A. in Psychology (no student loan debt) and my M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling ($90K in student loans). I chose to pursue studies in fields that were personally interesting. Fast Forward: In my field work I came to realize that personal interest in learning material doesn't always equate to the best fit in terms of career. I'm currently employed in the field of Early Childhood Special Education doing a variety of things, some which relate (and many that do not) to my background in psychology and counseling. Though I enjoyed my studies, the reality is that if I had been given more information about my undergraduate major and graduate program in terms of career options/outlook, as well as best-fit careers, I may have made very different choices about which path to pursue. As it is, I'm faced with a huge pile of loan debt which my current job trajectory can't even begin to conquer...

In these troubled economic times, there is no doubt in our minds that students will continue to be faced with similar situations. Our goal with MyTrueSalary.com is to provide the information necessary to allow students to make the most informed and personally appropriate decisions in terms of their futures. Luckily, I've come to realize the value of my education and its uses beyond the limitations of the mental health/education field. With an entrepreneurial spirit and a well-rounded team such as what we have at MyTrueSalary.com, the possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment